Dear ODS Members,
Summer is busy … show season is in full swing and there are multiple announcements that ODS would like to have you read – rather than send them in separate e-mails and clog up your inbox, we are putting these topics into this one e-mail.
Important Dates and Deadlines:
- 7/21/2014 (today) – Closing date for the Glisan Street Saddlery USDF/ODS Junior/Young Rider Team Dressage Championships and Open Benefit Show – see this webpage for details
- 8/1/2014 – Upcoming Deadline for Nominating for the ODS Volunteer of the Year and for the ODS Chapter Newsletter Award – see details on this webpage or in the 2014 ODS Roster
- 8/1/2014 – Deadline for sponsors for the ODS/Region 6 Junior/Young Rider Team Championship Show – see this webpage for details
- 8/1/2014 – on or around this date, Auditor Registration and Demo Rider Applications will be accepted for the ODS Fall Festival (see below)
- 8/4-7/2014 – USDF Region 6 Youth Dressage Overnight Camp hosted by ODS and held at DevonWood Equestrian Centre – detailed needs of volunteers are published on this webpage
- 8/8-10/2014 – ODS/Region 6 Junior/Young Rider Team Championship Show – detailed needs of volunteers will be published on this webpage after the show is scheduled, however, the show secretary is currently scheduling experienced scribes
- 8/15/2014 – Deadline for ODS Championship Show Sponsorship/Advertisers to receive full benefits – see details on this webpage
- 8/16/2014 – ODS Summer Board of Directors Meeting – at DevonWood in Sherwood, OR – contact the ODS Office for details. ODS Board of Directors meetings are open to all members, however we need to have RSVPs so that we have enough seating and meeting materials – (503) 681-2337
- 8/20/2014 – Deadline for Nominations for the ODS Board of Directors (see below)
- 8/20/2014 – Closing date for the ODS Championship Show – see details on this webpage
- 8/20/2014 – Deadline for the ODS League Show High Point Award Form (see below)
- 9/19/2014 – Deadline for ODS Volunteer Lottery Forms (see below)
- Check the ODS Master Calendar for more deadlines that pertain to shows, programs and events offered by our members and affiliates
ODS Championship Show:
We can’t wait for September 5, 6 and 7, 2014! The ODS Open and Championship Shows are open for entries and there have been many upgrades made recently at DevonWood.
- Riders: Have you qualified? If you are unsure, you can verify criteria listed on the ODS Championship Show’s Website (www.odschampionshipshow.com) (also published in the ODS Omnibus – check the ODS Championship Show prize list) If you have not qualified for Championships you can still ride in the ODS Open Show. All details about the show, including prize list and entry form are located on that website.
- Volunteers: We will need many volunteers at the ODS Championship Show; watch your ODS email for volunteer opportunities.
- Sponsors, Advertisers, Vendors: This show is traditionally the largest annual fundraiser for ODS and it has been successful due in large to our generous sponsors and supporters. To date, there are very few confirmed sponsors and we need to fill every class with a sponsorship; please visit the ODS Championship Show website to see the various types of Sponsorships available or contact the ODS Office. Sponsorships can be pledged via e-mail or purchased online here. Please contact the ODS Office if you have any questions or would like further information.
ODS 2014 Volunteer Lottery:
It has come to our attention that our previous advertising was unclear in one area – the volunteer lottery offered to ODS members is the opportunity to ride for FREE at the ODS Fall Festival. The cost of stabling is not included as that will be paid directly to the facility, however the rider fee will be waived. More details on the Volunteer Lottery, including the form to submit your volunteer hours, are available on this webpage.
Fall Festival Auditor Registration & Demo Rider Applications:
We appreciate your patience while waiting for details about the ODS Fall Festival, which will be held November 1 & 2 and features Debbie McDonald and Janet Foy. ODS is currently finalizing contracts with the facility, the host hotel and onsite food vendor. After contracts are signed, ODS will open the auditor registration and the application for demo riders (anticipated to be on or around 8/1/2014). If you have not already seen it, please visit this webpage for the most up to date information that we have.
- Volunteers: We still need several key volunteers to help make this event successful; basic job descriptions for each position as well as the ability to sign up are on this webpage. Questions? Email/call the ODS Office.
o Asst. Event Coordinator
o Vendor Host/ess
o Sponsorship Coordinator
o Registration Coordinator
o Other volunteer shifts (directly before, during and after the event) will be announced in the fall
- Demo Riders:If you are interested in being a demo rider, please read what is already published on the website before you send questions to committee chairs and demo rider organizers; right now, the event coordinators are still gathering the final details from the clinicians so that we will be able to offer the best opportunity to both riders and auditors.
- Sponsors, Vendors: Sponsor and vendor support is much appreciated. Information is forthcoming; please send your e-mail address to the ODS Office to receive packets when they are available.
ODS League Show High Point Awards:
All new in 2014, League Show High Point Awards are for horse/rider combinations demonstrating consistent excellence at ODS Approved League Shows. A small brass plate engraved with the horse’s name and award level and division plus a ribbon will be awarded to each winner and runner up. These awards will be presented annually at the ODS Awards Ceremony. Competitors must submit award report forms in order to be eligible for the LSHPA (see website). For the first year, the qualifying period shall be May 7, 2013 to August 20, 2014. In subsequent years, the qualifying period shall be that of the ODS Championship Show. Review the full information, including the form which is due on 8/20 – published on the ODS website here or contact Siobhan Barker at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Nominations for the ODS Board of Directors are now open; Due 8/20:
The ODS Nominating Committee is now accepting nominations for members who wish to serve on the ODS Board of Directors. Two Directors-at -Large are to be elected along with at least one Regional Representative from each of the four ODS regions. A Director-At-Large serves a 3 year term and represents the interest of all ODS members at Board meetings. Regional Representatives serve a 1 year term and represents the interests of their specific regions. ODS Officers are elected from Directors-At-Large. Their term year is November through October of the next year. All Directors-At-Large and Regional Representatives are expected to attend all Board Meetings (generally 4 per year face to face plus monthly conference calls), serve on committees, participate in discussions between meetings, and vote on issues presented. Regional Representatives are expected to discuss issues with Chapters and general members within their region and represent those views at Board or committee meetings. Nominations may be made by any ODS member in good standing. Candidates must agree to run for election. Each ODS Chapter is requested to submit a candidate for Regional Representative. Candidates must submit a biography of 100 words or less to the ODS Office as soon as possible after accepting nomination. Please direct your questions and nominations to Lisa Koch, chair of our Nominations Committee via e-mail (email@example.com). Nominations need to be made no later than August 20th.
As always, don’t hesitate to contact me if you have questions or need help with our programs.
Corinne Tindal Stonier
Hours: Tuesday, Thursday & Friday from 9 AM – 1 PM or by appointment