MID-VALLEY CHAPTER ODS MEETING MINUTES
October 30, 2014
11 chapter members (and two spouses) met at Kim Barker’s home in north Corvallis:
Karen and Peter Cheeke, Kim Barker, Nancy Clarke, John Craven, Joyce Heinke, Tammy Kienitz, Cynthia Lamb and Joseph White, Tricia McCormick, Mija Paris (Sims), Christine Wung, and Sandy Bryce
Meeting Times and Locations for 2014-2015: The group reviewed available days of the week to hold meetings in 2015. Most of those present could attend on Mondays. We selected the second Monday of the month for meeting nights. We also decided to rotate locations this year and try to have some meetings in the Salem area as well as Corvallis. All meetings are potlucks starting at 6:30 with a social time and meeting at 7:00. Attendees should bring a potluck food item and/or a favorite beverage.
The next meeting will be November 10 at Mija Paris Sims’ house in Rickreall, Oregon.
December’s meeting will be December 8 at Karen Cheeke’s house in Corvallis, OR
This is the Christmas Party! There will be a gift exchange; bring a wrapped gift of about $10 value (no gag gifts) and special holiday food/drink.
Officer Elections: All of the 2014 officers agreed to stay on for 2015 and they were elected by those present. They are:
President – Kimberlee Barker
Vice President – Tammy Kienitz
Secretary – Sandy Bryce
Treasurer – Joyce Heinke
Past Show Committee: Jennifer Milburn remains as Chair of the Heart of the Valley Show Committee and Manager of the show itself. Other members on the show committee include Tammy Kienitz, Kimberlee Barker, Karen Cheeke, and John Craven.
Clinics Past and Present: Members who attended last summer’s Barbi Breen-Gurley clinic as riders or auditors thought it was fun and informative. Barbi would like to come back and those present agreed that we would like to have her back. Cynthia Lamb will check on dates for a possible clinic next spring.
We are discussing possible dates with Mike Osinski to do a clinic or adult camp during summer 2015.
Joyce Heinke gave us a financial report. We expressed our appreciation for Joyce’s keeping a sharp eye on our finances.
ODS Fall Festival: Kim and Tammy put together a Mid-Valley chapter basket to put into the silent auction for the fall festival meeting and reception Saturday, November 1 at Devonwood, during and after the Saturday symposium with Debbie McDonald and Janet Foy. Tammy also agreed to present the Teresa Dunlap award at the reception.
The meeting attendees agreed to donate $500 of Mid-Valley Chapter funds to ODS to help fund the Fall Festival.
Julie Reynolds is a Mid-Valley Chapter member who was selected as a demonstration rider in the Debbie McDonald/Janet Foy symposium. Julie asked if our chapter could help defray the cost for her rides in the symposium. We voted not to help fund Julie’s rides because we realized we don’t have clear guidelines for subsidizing individual members in this way. We proposed a committee to take up the issue and write some guidelines for future events.
Committee Activities for 2015: We proposed creating a committee to write a proposal for a volunteer/participant point system. It would be a system for members to track and record points earned for volunteering or attending meetings and educational events. Those with points over a yet-to-be-determined amount would receive discounts on clinic costs, entry fees, or subsidies to help pay for ODS events. We will need to do a lot of brainstorming to make this plan workable and fair and to serve as an incentive for more volunteering and more participation in general.
An Educational Event/Clinic committee (Cynthia Lamb, Tammy Kienitz, Kim Barker, and Karen Cheeke) will work on having speakers or demos at meetings and one or more clinics.
The Summer Camp Committee (Kim Barker, Cynthia Lamb, Nancy Clarke, and Karen Cheeke) will continue to explore the idea of a camp.
Any others with an interest in joining an existing committee (or creating a new one) are welcome.
We have discussed holding a practice show or league show in 2015. Linda Coates-Markle has offered to judge the show. If we proceed with these plans we will need to create a show committee.
Submitted by Sandy Bryce, MVC Secretary